Saturday, October 2, 2010

T Bags



It seems that fall is finally here.  I’ve been saying for weeks that it has been on its way and that I was starting to feel the effects, but this week I felt that crisp chill in the air.  Refreshing, bright, colorful fall.  Can you tell that I love it? 

You already know a few of the reasons why I am so devoted to this short and unpredictable season.  Of course there are the changing leaves, the taffy apples, the wool socks, the boots, the Halloween spirit, my birthday, the scarves, and the just-chilly-enough-but-not-so-cold-that-I-hate-going-outside weather.  But more than anything, my love affair with fall has everything to do with coffee and tea.

I may not have mentioned this before, but hot drinks are kind of my jam.  I live for them.  Why have an ice-cold soda when you can waft a steaming mug of tea?  I am also, though I hate to admit it, horribly addicted to coffee.  I know what you’re thinking: “Addicted? But you’re still in high school! You’re not supposed to be addicted until you are at least 25.” Believe it or not, it’s true. My addiction, however, is not like most.  For me, coffee is more than that brown muck that keeps you awake all day.  No, coffee is something to be celebrated.  That warm, bitter, taste.  The earthy notes with just a hint of sweetness.  I love coffee.  I love the taste; I love the smell; I even love my thermos that will, no matter how many times I wash it, always smell like coffee.  Drinking it is not a chore, it is an honor.  So I do not hang my head in shame for joining the millions that get splitting headaches on the one day of the year that they forget to drink coffee.  If crabbiness and a throbbing cranium are the price I must pay, then it’s worth it.

The only hot drink that I love even more than coffee is tea.  It is almost too daunting of a task to put my passion for tea into words.  Sounds do it more justice, but I don’t know how to translate a deep hum of contentment through the written word.  So I’m just going to have to try to tackle the former.  Tea warms not only my body, but my heart and soul.  I know that sounds cheesy, but a great mug of tea can actually change my mood and my entire day.  I pride myself on collecting teas from different places.  Whenever I come across a good teahouse on vacation, I stop in to taste and bring something home.  I have teas that suit my different moods, and I tend to favor different flavors depending on the time of the year.  When I am sick, I turn to my “magic tea,” a tea that I bought in a small village in Israel.  When I am stressed out, White Cloud is my dear friend that calms me down with her soothing notes of toasted coconut and pineapple.  When I need some energy, I look to my collection of black teas for guidance: apricot, vanilla, Irish breakfast, Island mango, original spice, the list goes on and on.  Sometimes, like Kermit the frog, when I am feeling green, Moroccan Mint and Jasmine Oolong are eagerly awaiting me.  So as you can see, I am something of a tea fanatic.  I look forward to tea shopping at my favorite tea store in the area, and I’ll make plans weeks ahead of time to ensure that I have a long, satisfying visit. 

Now, I know this sounds odd, but I often bring tea over to my friends’ houses.  I’ll bring a selection that we can make, if we feel so inclined.  Study sessions always require an array of greens, blacks, and herbals, so I need a big bag to transport my treasures.  Where do I turn? You guessed it: my tote bag.  So if you need to bring tea or coffee to a friend’s house, work event, or any other gathering and you need a bag to bring it in, you know where to find it.

-Emma

3 comments:

  1. great..now i really want a cup of really good coffee..which does not exist in Israel!
    love you!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cafe Hillel was the best! We love you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny but it's the tea I found myself needing. Lovely article.

    ReplyDelete