Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Make It Work!



This past Friday afternoon was magical.  Why, you might ask?  Well, the answer is simple: Project Runway.  I had just finished my last day of work, and I was exhausted to say the least.  I drove home, and sat in the car for a moment outside my house, thinking.  The day was a bit overcast, and the air was hot and sticky.  Not a particularly nice day, and it all felt sort of gloomy and sad.  I kept thinking that I should have had something to look forward to at home that day, but I couldn’t put my finger on it.  I walked in the house, cut up an apple, and went into the family room.  I flipped through the channels, not finding anything interesting.  I perused the list of shows we had recorded, and that’s when I saw it: a new episode of Project Runway.  Immediately, I leapt off of the couch and went to find my mom.  “THERE IS A NEW SEASON OF PROJECT RUNWAY ON!!!!”  She dropped what she was doing, and together we scurried to the family room to start the show.  Giddily, I pressed play and we sat, mesmerized, for the next hour, only discussing our likes and dislikes during commercial breaks.  Like I said, it was magical.

This tradition goes way back.  My mom and I religiously watch the show as soon as I get home from school on Fridays.  So the emptiness that I felt in the car resulted from the absence of this sacred practice.  We watch each season with the deepest interest and the most careful analysis.  As each season ends, we grow sad at the loss of such a happy ritual, but eagerly await the next cycle. 

The last time a season began, I was in the car driving home from dance.  I was listening to the radio, which is extremely rare given that I only listen to mix CDs.  Thus, it was fate that I should be flipping through stations just in time to hear a commercial for a new season of Project Runway that was starting that night.  I picked up my phone to call my mom immediately, and she was so happy that she did not even bother to scold me for being on the phone while driving, also a rare feat. 

Project Runway is more than just a weekly event for my mom and me.  Even Jake loves it!  His female friends used to sucker him into watching it, but I really don’t think he minded.  He would sometimes meander into the family room when my mom and I were watching and stay until the end of the episode.  He also does a mean impression of Tim Gunn.  We all love to offer a good, “make it work” or “go go go!” every once in a while, but Jake’s impression takes the cake. 

So where does this all tie in with the bags?  All great outfits require superb accessories, and what better to accessorize with than a cute bag!  When you are getting ready to go out and you need that perfect purse to go with your look, you know where to find one. Choose your accessories carefully, and make it work!

-Emma

1 comment:

  1. you learned a lot this summer. It's nice to see how your writing, which was terrific, has improved. I like the way you add detail to the stories. Keep up the good work! But I'm probably not going to watch the program (sorry)

    ReplyDelete