Monday, August 16, 2010

Supper Club



I graduated! No, not from high school, silly.  From the Susan Silverman Culinary Institute.  So I am finally somewhat proficient in a kitchen.  Last night, Jake and I had our end of summer/proving we can cook celebration with our family.  We planned a meal to cook for our parents, and we spent all of yesterday in the kitchen.  I had plenty to prove, because nobody in my family had any confidence in my cooking skills.  When I suggested to Jake that we make dinner for our parents (it was actually my mom’s idea) he responded quite bluntly with, “No! You’re a terrible cook!”  So it took some convincing, but I got him to do it.

The menu consisted of guacamole, tomato and feta salad, grilled chicken, and chocolate-peanut butter cupcakes.  I handled the salad and the cupcakes and Jake tackled the rest.  We ended up with a great dinner, and aside from me burning my arm on the oven door, there were no disasters! 


All of this got me thinking about the end of summer.  I have officially become a not-so-horrible cook after months of practice, and now it is time to say goodbye to a wonderful summer.  Jake is leaving soon for his semester in Washington D.C., school starts next week, and the leaves are changing.  Well, not yet, but you get the idea.  It’s that time of the year again.  Time to put your bathing suits away and shove your extra sunscreen in the back of a storage closet.  (But if, like me, you have translucent skin, you can keep the sunscreen out for a few more weeks.) 

Not everything about the start of fall is bad though.  I mean, come on now, let’s talk about fall clothing!  I have been anxiously eyeing my sweaters for weeks now, hoping desperately for just one chilly day to throw on my favorite oversized wool v-neck.  And even though this may sound a little weird, I can’t wait to start wearing socks again.  I don’t think many of you know this, but socks are my favorite article of clothing.  I have a monumental collection of thick wool hiking socks, tube socks, knit socks, knee-highs, ankle socks, men’s socks, you name it.  But seriously, my feet have been going through withdrawal.  So there’s that to live for.

But with the start of fall and, for many of you, school, what will you be desperately in need of?  A tote bag of course! Something large and sturdy enough to carry your books in, but also stylish and clad in fall colors.  Luckily you have come to the right place. So when you are planning your fall wardrobe, don’t forget to get a new bag.

-Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment